Top Five Golf Courses in Kenya
Best Golf Resorts in Africa but first a short quiz.
The French word Cadet means youngest child and is where the word Caddy comes from?
First 18-Hole golf course was on a apple farm.?
The chances of making two holes-in-one in a round of golf are one in 67 million?
Kenya’s first golf course, Nairobi golf club, now the Royal Nairobi golf club, opened in 1906?
Golf in Kenya is a popular sport?
Australian golfer Peter Thomson inaugurated the Kenya Open Golf Championship in 1967?
Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club has a 10 hole course?
Kenya has 42 golf courses from the coast of the Indian Ocean to the Great Rift Valley and central highlands. Kenya’s first golf course, Nairobi golf club, now the Royal Nairobi golf club, opened in 1906.
According to Kenya Golf Guide Kenya’s first golf course, Nairobi golf club, now the Royal Nairobi golf club, opened in 1906. Two golf courses opened four year later, the Meru Club and the Nyeri Club were opened in 1910.
Mombasa Golf Club was opened shortly after in 1911. Kenya golf scene is very popular. Kenya has a total of 42 golf courses, more than any other African Country except South Africa; at least eight courses have hosted major tournaments and are considered to be of international standard. The best time to visit Kenya for a few rounds of golf is during the rainy season, in the months of March - early June and October - early December.
Africa Zone 6 is Africa’s most prestigious amateur golf team title, for 2015 the 20th edition of the tournament is hosted by Uganda. The defending champions, South Africa are competing against amateur golfers from Kenya, Botswana, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Australian golfer Peter Thomson inaugurated the Kenya Open Golf Championship in 1967, he was the only golfer to win a modern major three times in succession 1954, 1955, and 1956.
|Kenya has 42 golf courses|
Top Five Golf Courses in Kenya
1. Vipingo Ridge 18-hole, par 72 Baobab golf course is an hour north of Mombasa. Vipingo Ridge is a 2,500 acre private residential golfing destination on the beautiful Mombasa North Coast. Vipingo Ridge has an outstanding Clubhouse with an 18-hole championship golf course, Beach Club and a Private Airstrip.
2. Sigona 18-hole, par 72 golf course is located in Kikuyu, along the Nairobi Naivasha highway, the club is a twenty minutes drive from Nairobi. Constructed in 1938, Sigona Golf Club boasts an 18-hole, country style golf course, the toughest hole in this course is hole number seven.
3. The 18 holes, par 71 Muthaiga Golf course opened as early as 1920. In 1967 the first major golf tournament which is today known as Kenya Open Golf tournament was held at Muthaiga Golf Club. It was so successful that it has been held here ever since. In 2004 South African course designer Peter Matkovich redesigned the 18-hole Muthaiga Golf course.
4. Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club 18-hole, par 72 golf course is located off Kiambu Road in Nairobi, Kenya boosting Victorian style buildings and an 18-hole championship golf course. There is a strict dress code for Windsor’s golf course and driving range. The velvet monkeys and kite birds along the course are said to enhance the wildlife golfing experience.
5. Nyali Golf and Country Club is located off Links Road in Mombasa, Kenya. The golf course was designed by Monty Lowry in 1958. The 18 holes, par 71 course offers testing short rough and numerous doglegs.
Photos by Kenya Golf Guide