DIY African Print Phone Cases That You Can Make
Instead of buying a new phone case for your iPhone consider making a DIY African Kente cloth print of your own.
There are so many ways to rock African design. Here are three African kente cloth designs that you can print for your iPhone 4, 5, or 6 clear cases to coordinate with your outfit.
What is Kente cloth
The African cloth kente is made by the Ashanti people of Ghana and the Ewe people of Ghana and Togo. Kente cloth is the most recognizable of all African textiles.
Almost every Ghanaian has a garment of kente cloth. The kente fabric is made of inter-woven silk fabric. Although you might now know the name, the kente cloth is used globally. The kente cloth is made in different styles, colors and patterns.
Meaning of the word Kente
The word kente means basket. The word kente comes from the Akan or Ashanti people. Because of the manner in which the fabric is woven, the pattern of the fabric is similar to a basket, hence kente. While the individual patterns featured in kente cloth design hold certain meanings, the collection of patterns on a single cloth hold a different symbolic meaning.
- · The Golden Stool - The Golden Stool is a symbol of absolute power in Ghana. According to legend, it was sent down from the heavens 800 years ago. Today the king of the Ashanti sits upon it whenever he is in public.
- · Fathia Nkrumah - Fatha Nkrumah was the wife of the first president of Ghana. This design was created in her honor.
- · Baako mmu man - It takes two to council; One man cannot rule a country
- · Nsatea - All fingers are not equal.
- · Nnuatoma - You must measure everything that you do.
Meaning of the colors used in the Kente
- · Black represents Africa
- · Red represents the blood of forefathers
- · Yellow represents gold
- · Green represents the forest