Most citrus groves in Egypt are located the North of the African country.
|Citrus is the main fruit crop in Egypt|
Egypt mainly sells to the Gulf, Russia and Europe. The Egyptian harvest is 2 months earlier than Spain and other Mediterranean countries.
Lemon Greens RecipeIngredients
1 bunch of your favorite greens cut in thin ribbons
1 crushed garlic clove
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon olive oil
Juice of ½ lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
In large skillet, sauté garlic and onion in oil over a medium heat. Add greens and cook until just wilted. Remove from heat. Pour lemon juice over greens and season with salt and pepper.
How to select lemons
· Choose medium to large lemons that are heavy for their size. The heaviness signifies lots of juice.
· Lemons should have a smooth firm surface. You can tell if the skin is smooth by touch but also it should look a little bit shiny.
· Avoid lemons that are wrinkly, soft, have bumpy and/or hard skin. These are signs that the lemon is old and decomposing.
Random Lemon Facts
· Lemons are grown in both dry and humid environments and tolerate infertile, poor soil.
· Lemons are a good source of vitamin C, rich in minerals as calcium and potassium.
· Lemons have a shelf life ranging between 2 and 20 weeks.
· Lemons create one of nature's major sources of potassium.
· Lemons are technically berries.
· Lemon is an evergreen plant that belongs to the family Rutaceae.
· Lemons are nature’s top source of citric acid, a life essential found in the cells of all living creatures.
· Fresh squeezed lemon in a glass of water is said to cleanse the liver.
· Lemons are also believed to stimulate the metabolism.
· A halved lemon dipped in salt or baking powder can be used to brighten copper and silver cookware.